View Single Post
Old 07-17-2014, 08:59 AM   #2
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdraupp View Post
I don't get it.

To recap my issue, I've had intermittent 1128 and 1130 codes since I bought the car in October. Thought for sure it was the AOS, so I had it replaced like first thing. I also bought a new gas cap at this time to try the cheap fixes first.

Code came back, so I suspected vacuum leak. Car bounced at startup before running fine, but I also had an oil leak issue that I figured was spark plug tubes. Replaced tubes, plugs. Had the car in the shop and my guy found no vacuum leak, but found high resistance on one of the O2 pre cat sensors, so replaced it and the numbers went back to normal. Cleared the codes. No code return, but he stated my MAF was reading within range but very low on the range and that I may want to replace it. I did and the code came back. So I forgot to reset the ECU when I replaced the MAF, figured that was the cause, pulled the battery, reset it and all was well.

Car was at this time running better than ever, no idle issues, awesome throttle response, MPG was best it had ever been. Took the car on an 8 hour drive to the Ozarks this week and had no issues! Flawless. That is until we were driving on some hills at slow speeds and of course, 1128 and 1130 come back again. No symptoms. Engine runs great. Made the trip back another 8 hours with that ugly yellow light glaring at me but ZERO symptoms.

What do I do next? I was going to try a new oil fill cap just to rule that out. I feel as though if it was my oil fill tube, I would've found the leak. Is it possible a small valve cover leak would cause the code? It can't be fuel pressure or I'd notice, right? It can't be the AOS or I'd have smoke and the other symptoms and I have a 6 month old AOS. I feel a vacuum leak would give me idle issues!

All that I've tried:
New Tubes
New J Tube
New AOS
New MAF
New Gas Cap

Where do I go from here? I'm seeing Check engine lights in my nightmares...
2002 2.7 88k miles. Any help is greatly appreciated.
OK, what I am about to say may start a firestorm, but here goes. On an early car (1998-1999) with a 5.2.2 DME, P1128 and 1130 are signs of an air leak (the mixture is so lean that the DME cannot compensate). On a later car, however, with the 7.2 or 7.8 DME, the same two codes indicate an overly rich mixture (MAF issues, fuel pressure too high, leaking injector, EVA purge valve issues). I'd start by checking the car's fuel trims to see where you really are.

It is very easy to start chasing your tail on these two codes........

Last edited by JFP in PA; 07-17-2014 at 09:02 AM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote