View Single Post
Old 05-02-2013, 12:58 PM   #12
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanford_yee View Post
I'm also contemplating buying a durametric. For those that have one, does it tell you what parts to replace/tweak if there is a fault code or does it just point you in the right direction?
All diagnostic tools are like a compass, they point you in the right direction; but they do not work like a GPS which tells you exactly how to get there; that requires some diagnostics understanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
What I find is missing is that when you look at a reading, knowing if it is within specs, or not. Without this knowledge many of the reading are nearly worthless.

The machine gives you lots of data, but the real trick is knowing how to interpret the data, and sadly that is what is lacking.

In my opinion a device such as this would actually be worth the money if it also had the database showing what the allowable specs are for every reading.
Even the almighty $20K per year PIWIS does not do this, you still need to look up things to understand what it is telling you. Basically, what you have is a situation much like the difference between a "rod burner" and a welder; both own the same tools, one just understands how to use them.