View Single Post
Old 07-21-2012, 01:38 PM   #4
Crono0001

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
Assuming these are the last of the items to sort, you're going to quit with $1500 to go after sinking $6K in repairs?

The brakes are an easy DIY.

The engine rattle is probably a motor mount. Another DIY job.

You can pick up a compressor at OK Foreign or Porsche Dismantlers, install it yourself, and have someone clear and charge the system.

So many questions from your post. You bought the car knowing the AC wasn't working and now it's an issue? When you had the trans out for the clutch, why didn't you pop for the IMS? Did the car come with records?

It sounds like you bought a car that's been neglected for a while and needs some lovin to get it back up to snuff. You're probably not too far from the end of the tunnel. It would be a shame to sell it to someone else to enjoy. But wait for the response from Randall...
Apologies, allow me to clarify

I wasn't very knowledgeable about cars (still am not). Before I purchased the car, I had a mechanic look at it, and he said the only thing he could find wrong was the vacuum leak (hence the check engine light). In retrospect, I don't think I took the car to a very good mechanic, as all this stuff happened to break down as I was driving it.

The AC problem is recent (just happened within the past few weeks), and the engine rattle just happened today. I took the engine cover off to listen to it, and it got worse when I turned the AC on. I'm almost convinced its the compressor, belt, or pulley...

I didn't replace the IMS when I had the clutch out (which I know I should have, because everything was out and ready), because I just didn't have the money, having already spent $3000 not more than a month ago to fix the vacuum leak.

But it seems that whenever I get done repairing one thing, another thing goes on the way, which is why I wanted to ask the drivers here how much they spend on yearly maintenance. I have no doubt this car was neglected from the previous owner, just from the amounts of soda spills and cigarette marks all over the car (poor thing).

I love the 986 to death, but it's not loving my wallet too much.
Crono0001 is offline   Reply With Quote