View Single Post
Old 10-13-2005, 09:51 AM   #5
SD987

I am looking for a base Boxster with no option whatsoever except windscreen.

I'm going to agree with bmussatti that Pioneer is a good place to start shopping and where I bought mine. They have quite a large Boxster inventory on hand. I'm going to disagree though with his other point, in that Pioneer usually has one or two poorly-optioned vehicles on hand. I bought the most base model you can buy...it had floormats. Fortunately it was the color I was looking for. However, when negotiating with them, I had them include a windscreen and color wheel caps in the transaction, and if you find yourself in a similar situation, I suggest you do the same. There aren't many Porsche options that can be installed at the dealer so you're limited in what you can put on a due-bill. The only other option I wanted was Litronics, which also can't be installed after-market if you want self-adjustment. However the base headlights on the 987 are excellent and the Litronics aren't necessary. You'll probably notice that there are a good number of heavily optioned Boxsters on dealer lots that don't have Litronics, surprisingly enough. That's a testament to the quality of the standard headlights and most folks who say you "have to have Litronics" have no idea what the improved headlights on the 987 are like to drive with.

Power outlet: Is there a place on the base Boxster where you can plug in your cell phone or is that an option.

I don't know about cell-phone integration with PCM, but if you're talking about 12v power sources, there are actually three. The cigarette lighter itself, there's a second one in the center console, and there's a third one in the passenger footwell.

Is the ground clearance a problem for speed bumps? And how forgiving is the Boxster to bottoming out?

Absolutely it's a problem, not for speed bumps because the chassis is incredibly stiff and absorbs bumps well, but when entering or exiting curbed areas. The car is forgiving though in that there are "plates" running along the bottom covering almost the entire car. The plates at the front of my car are scuffed from a couple of incidents, but of course can't be seen. I guess it's the front overhang that causes problems because my 350SLK which has similar overall build dynamics doesn't have a problem with this.

Is the owners manual with service information available on PDF for free or purchased? I want to read it before I buy to make sure there are no surprises.
You can buy one I'm sure, but probably not cheap. Didn't look like any surprises to me, 20k service intervals.

What do you do in case of a flat tire?

You pray it's punctured on the tread and not the sidewall. There's an inflation system, but I haven't investigated it too much, fortunately. I would agree that the lack of a spare is...disconcerting.

Where in San Diego are you? I'm in La Jolla Village.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote