View Single Post
Old 06-21-2011, 03:34 AM   #1
Dale_K

Both headlight adjusters move beam vertically

I'm kind of confused about adjusting the Litronic headlights on my 2000 S. When I bought the car the right headlight was pointed too right and too low. I read the owner's manual and turned the direction it said and couldn't get any adjustment. Finally I took the headlight out of the car and decided the manual was wrong and turned the adjuster the other way. I could watch the bulb holder move the way I needed it to go and finally it made a little pop and jumped a bunch in the right direction. I think the previous owner had cranked it beyond the valid adjustment range.

The lights were usable at this point but still a little low on both sides and a little right on both sides. Here's the confusing part - the top adjusting screw, which is supposed to be lateral seems to move the beam vertically more than it moves it horizontally. In fact I don't notice any horizontal movement at all. Both the top and bottom screws move the beam up and down. I cranked the horizontal adjuster quite a bit and then moved the bottom screw quite a bit to compensate for the vertical change the upper screw made. The lights aren't too terrible right now but I don't understand why the lateral adjustment screw doesn't work the way I think it should. The top screw doesn't seem to move the beam from side-to-side.
Dale_K is offline   Reply With Quote