View Single Post
Old 02-14-2009, 04:16 PM   #10
cnavarro

The post I made on Pelican pretty much sums it up, but I'll also add that using a metal filter body lets you use filter magnets that I've tested as removing all but 1 ppm of Fe in used oil. Secondly, using one of the recommended filters that don't have an internal bypass are full-flow, filtering 100% of oil, not allowing ANY particulate matter to be bypassed, with filters capable of higher flow while still filtering much finer particles. These filters are built to take pressures far exceeding anything these engines can produce, even in sub-freezing weather as we have tested.

Amsoil is good too (just don't use their european formula - it's pretty weak), so are their filters - just cross with one of the filters we recommend and you'll be fine using Amsoil's. Royal Purple also now offers some nice filters too!

As far as oils go, I'm leaning towards Swepco 306 15w40 for non-variocam+ engines. If using a factory approved oil or lighter recommended 0w40 or 5w40 viscosities, I'm also thinking about recommending Swepco's 502 Oil Improver. This boils down to the bearing analysis we had done on the IMS and their failure modes - having an oil with moly-based extreme pressure friction modifiers should improve IMS life. Royal Purple's 5w40 would be another oil as laden with moly as Swepco.

For sure, drain intervals need to be cut back to 5,000 mi / 6 months.
Home of Nickies, IMS Retrofit, and IMS Solution

Last edited by cnavarro; 02-14-2009 at 04:23 PM.
cnavarro is offline   Reply With Quote